Friday, June 5, 2009

The essay in question

Holt Renfrew preparing to host the Toronto Film Festival


This is the mini essay that I submitted. We were limited to 200 words and asked to explain why were the ideal candidate for the job.

Why should I be Holt’s Contemporary Correspondent? Because fashion defines my life! It's in my thoughts, my words, and my reference points. From bold Lanvin to of-the-moment Alexander Wang, fashion challenges my thinking of what is contemporary. Is it 60's Edie Sedgwick reincarnated in the hip looks of vintage-clad girls on Queen West? Or the continuous exploration of the new and undiscovered as manifested in Jeremy Laing’s shifting shapes?

Truth is - it's both! And it's everywhere, especially in this great city of ours. I see it in those amazing graffiti walls as the subway passes west along the Bloor Danforth subway, in the sharp folds of the ROM Crystal, in the vivid palette of High Park during spring.

Be it in a building or in a frock, I’ve learnt that fashion is the lens through which we interpret and present who we are to the world. I'll bring my fun-loving, inquisitive perspective along with me as I discover where fashion is headed next!

No comments: