Friday, July 3, 2009

Dreams & Plans

My future boss: Christopher Bailey, Creative Director of Burberry Prorsum

I just realized that I didn't include a full-breakdown of my future plans on the blog. So sorry!

Since September of last year, I've been taking Life Coach sessions with Lynda Kirby, a certified Life Coach who has also become a very good friend of mine. It has been a fascinating and life changing experience. I'll write more that later.

With Lynda's help, I have been able to define my interests, become aware of my talents, and set goals for myself that I work towards. Since then, I have begun working on my portfolio, and am actively pursuing a career in Fashion.


Here's a detailed breakdown of my life over the next three years -

RIGHT NOW:

1) - Find a full time job that pays me well (& is ideally in a more specific fashion field). This will help me to consolidate my energy and attention from my current two part-time job into one field, and help me gain financial independence. (rather than just barely getting by)

I've started to do that right now, and I've found and applied for some good possiblities. Slight problem: How do I explain when I go in for the interview that I'll be gone for two weeks after just starting my job? I'm worried that it will decrease my chances. But I know that everything happens for a reason. I need to come see Solongo!


This SUMMER:

2) Take a sewing course. I found a really good (& expensive *sigh*) one that will teach me the basics of jacket construction. Because i really need to know how to create samples and translate my designs from paper to fabric.

3) Finish Marketing Analysis & Company profile. I haven't really told anyone this, but for the past year and a bit I've been creating a company based on outerwear for the women ages 35-45. It's still all very new to me, but I have a very definite sense of who I am creating for, what I will be doing, marketing plan, and so on. I have made about 8 presentation boards illustrating my concept. But I've neglected it for so long since I have school work and work-work to attend to.

4) Finish Spring/ Summer Collection Ideas & Conception. I currently working on a collection inspired by India, specifically the period from Pagwah (Holi) till the run up to the Monsoon in Sept.


SEPTEMBER & WINTER 2009-2010

5) Maintain Job status & take as full a course as I can reasonably manage. Try not to go insane. Try to remember that after this I have one more year left.

6) Create Fall/Winter Collection: Conception & Ideas. I'm already thinking it will be heavily drawn from my soon-to-be reread copy of Great Expectations.


SUMMER 2010

3) Go on a trip? Maybe to Guyana? I so need to reconnect to my homeland. I'm having withdrawal of all things Caribbean.

4) Apply for a fashion-related internship. Volunteer if I need to. Apply to Bustle, Smythe & Holt Renfrew. Try to get either the spring or summer intership at FASHION or FLARE mag.

5) Take a Portfolio Development Course. This will help to know how to put together my work and present it well.

6) Spring/ Summer Collection Ideas & Conception. Work on 2nd Summer Collection.


FALL/WINTER 2010-2011

5) Maintain Job status & take as full a course as I can reasonably manage. Try not to go insane. This is my Final school year!

6) Create Fall/Winter Collection: Conception & Ideas. Work on 2nd Fall/ Winter collection.

7) Make Samples. Get fabric and create sample of collection. Polish & Refine them.



SUMMER 2011

7) Apply for another fashion-related internship. Volunteer if I need to. Apply again to Bustle, Smythe & Holt Renfrew. Try to get either the spring or summer intership at FASHION or FLARE mag.

8) Create Spring/ Summer Collection Ideas & Conception. This will be my third collection. Make Samples.

9) Final York Courses. Just in case I need some extra time to finish some courses in order to graduate.

10) Travel for vacation to London & England ( to see Solongo). Apply for Burberry Interships or one of the following jobs:

Strategic Pricing Expert, Sourcing Assistant, Showroom Assistants

By this point, I will have an excellent combination of Academic and Real-World Experience. Especially a balance of Business Admin & Design. I would have worked in the Fashion field, as well will have a catalogue of my own clothes and concepts to show as part of my portfolio. I am hoping this will make me a good candidate.



FALL/WINTER 2011-2012

11) Move to London!



Well friends, this is my plan. I'm going to jump heart and soul into it. Now if I can only finish my two assignments that are past due and make it through my mid-term on Sunday, I'll be on my way.

Your encouragement means so much to me. It is the steam that keeps my train going.

1 comment:

Caricom Banna said...

Hey Geek in the Pink, your plans sound Pretty interesting. I do wish you well and pray that you don't lose your balance, focus and greater purpose of the Creator in all your plans. Remember Prov (19:21) says "Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that will prevail" and also the well known verse from Prov (3:4-7)"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and Lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him and He will make your paths straight. Do not be wise in your own eyes. Fear the Lord and shun evil".
Caio for now,