Thursday, July 23, 2009

Holt Renfrew Challenge #1

I've been up keeping with the Holt Correspondent search, even though I wasn't able to be apart of it. It has been interesting to see the challenges the two contestants have to face, and it's been fun to see how they bring their own unique spin on thing to the tasks. Of course I can't help but wonder what I would have done, so I've decided to do that here.

CHALLENGE #1

Recreate your favourite look from the Fall/Winter 2009 shows.


Inspiration #1

The opening look from John Galliano; a tall ship in the Toronto Harbour


I selected this look because of all pictures that I scanned through during the Menswear shows, this one stayed in my mind. John Galliano, my fashion mentor and favourite designer, has a deliciously mad-cap way of approaching fashion, and this show was no different. Complete with ghoulish pirates, voyeuristic judges and lawmakers, John sent out a collection rich with imagination. What I love equally about John is his strong eye for cut. If you look closely at the opening look, beyond the crazy hair and makeup, you see a gorgeously-constructed trench coat, a brocade vest and a perfectly-fitted pair of pants. These pieces are the most practical parts of a guys wardrobe as a camel trench and brown pants go with everything in the closet. The fit and proportion of both pieces are so John: modern, tailored and theatrical.

Implementation:

What other way to look for such kooky gear than combing through second-hand stores?! I would head to the one on Yonge St. that specializes in old army gear. That's a great place to find an old overcoat. I love the broken-in, lived-in feel of John's version. Next I'd buy a pair of Straight Fit/ Skinny pants. Banana Republic and H&M always stock a pair of close-fitting brown ones. Finally, I'd rent a pirate hat & wig from a costume store and cover myself in white baby powder. Who says you can't have fun?!

Setting:

To create a really great picture, setting is key. To truly do justice to John's look, I would need to go all the way to find an interesting locale. I would the sign up for one of the 2 hour cruises onboard Tall Ship Toronto, a company here in the city that takes tourists out onto the Lake Ontario harbour on a tall ship. After begging the crew supervisor for permission, I would scale one of the masts. Can you imagine the picture?! ...wind in my coat, as I hang onto the mast with a fierce growl...billowing sails, the lights of the skyline in the background.


Inspiration #2: Dolce & Gabbana.


Look #31 from Dolce & Gabbana

The boys from Sicily outdid themselves this season. The fashion world has finally gotten the memo that we're in a global recession. Money is drying up everywhere, sales are down, consumer buying habit is radically changing. Therefore many of the collections for the Fall season reflected the shifting change from disposable, 'It' pieces, to solid investment clothing that will stay chic for years to come. Dolce & Gabbana provided a show that was chalk full of such gorgeous basics. I love their mantra this season - simple pieces, flattering fits, the best fabrics. What more does one need? Look #31 was all about the trenchcoat. As you can tell, I have a passion for outerwear. Which man alive wouldn't want to imagine himself as a dandy dressed to the nines like this?


Implementation

This would be relatively easy to do. I already own a great trench from last fall (H&M), and a newsboy hat in black felt (Big It Up). I'd need to pick up a white shirt and black tie (maybe H&M again?) and a pair of grey slacks. The real challenge would be replicating that great bag. I'm sure the original will cost thousands, but I'd probably find mine at a second-hand shop.

Setting:

While I can't fly to Italy, I can recreate old Europe right in my backyard. I'd head down to the distillery district where old factories and cobblestone streets abound. I'd snap a picture against an old wall, down a deserted alleyway. Can you see it?....dark shadows, a crumbling wall, moody glances, the hat?

What do you think?



No comments: