Monday, July 6, 2009

Almost that time of year....

Lisa Fonssagrives - the 50's couture icon & wife of famed photographer Irving Penn; also frequent muse to Dior's John Galliano

It's early July, and you know what that means - the Fall Haute Couture shows in Paris!! This is the highlight of my fashion calendar. I can't wait to see what mastery John Galliano and his team at Maison Dior concoct for us this time. Last season's Flemish Artists & Exposed Underpinnings will be hard to top. Also interesting will be Lagerfeld's take on Chanel. His shows are always a must-see. They might not always be approachable, but they demonstrate the mastery of the petite mains like no other! Let's not also forget Christian Lacroix, fashion's resident poet. He creates beautiful sonnets with colour and print. I personally think he should be declared a living French National Treasure.

Sadly, this might be Lacroix's last season, as his company recently filed for bankruptcy in a Paris court. I read in an article that he has never turned a profit in his 22 years in the business. That astounds me. How can someone be in business for 22 years, and not make a single profit!! I will need to read up more on this to better understand the issue.


Christian Lacroix

But it does shake me awake and provide clearer focus as to the purpose of doing my BA. I've been pursuing a Business Administration Degree for the past three years, and it has been a rollercoaster ride to say the least. Lacroix's story reminds me that regardless of how immensely talented you are, you must know the business side of things.


No comments: