Friday, July 3, 2009

On cut and craft...The Resort Shows

I've just spent the past couple of hours immersed in images from the Resort shows for the Summer 2010 Season and I'm overwhelmed with inspiration! I'm so inspired by images from the houses that use interesting influences and translate their work into wearable, covetable clothing!

For the uninitiated, the Resort shows occur sometime in mid-June, before the menswear shows. Resort acts as summer line or transition between the Spring Summer Collections and the upcoming fall shows. As the name implies, Resort looks are all about cool, unfussy pieces that travel well to the many vacation destinations of wealthy fashionistas. For the rest of us, this is a great time to grab some timeless pieces that are cool, chic, and carry the essence of a particular house. Because the clothes are meant to serve as part of a vacation wardrobe, Resort pieces are generally less laden with heavy design elements that the houses laden on during the regular fashion season in order to appeal to magazine editorials and industry trends.

My favourites were Giambattista Valli, Zac Posen & Chanel. All three chalk full of pieces that will stay relevant and fresh after this season has long passed.



Easy summer pieces from Giambattista Valli, Resort 2010




Some great skirt/jacket combos from Zac Posen, Resort 2010



Iconic, easy pieces from Chanel, Resort 2010


As you know, improving my sewing skills is the next thing on my list of goals. I was so inspired by all the images of tailoring, cut, and construction of some of these clothes that I did some detailed research on sewing schools here in Toronto. While I don't want to sew clothing for a living, I do know that I need to learn how to whip up my own samples for presentations, and also to learn the process of translating an idea on paper into three-dimensional form. Most importantly, I want to understand the way different fabrics work, move, and mold themselves to the body. I want to learn the fundamentals of cut, construction, tailoring, draping, and embroidery. This knowledge will allow me to appreciate the experience of those I work with (later on) and will help me to hone my craft. It will also help me to understand the details that create truly spectacular pieces.

I came across an interesting quote from Cathryn Horyn, Fashion Critic of the New York Times, from her blog On The Runway (on which I regularly comment):

".....having beautifully made clothes represents an ideal, and craft is vital to the long-term prestige of high fashion houses like Chanel—indeed to the industry itself. I would argue that the work in the ateliers—the embroideries, the fit, the savoir-faire—is the essence of what makes Chanel exclusive. And exclusivity, like innovation, will matter even more in the coming years."

This quote was pulled from Cathy's insightful speech at the Citi Women & Co. event in NYC where she spoke about the changes to the fashion industry brought on by the recession. She argues that the age of needless consumerism, epitomized by the latest It Bag, is ending. The industry needs to refocus itself to cater to an increasingly savvy consumer, who know has become tired of disposable fashion and craves a well-built, innovative product.

No comments: